Saturday, September 21, 2013

Everything is going to be alright

Life is made up of many little moments.  Some so small, that we might not appreciate them if we don't slow down and reflect on them.  Usually the moments that we focus on, are those where something extreme happens, either exciting news, or sad news.  We focus on the weddings, the holidays, the vacations, the heartaches, the deaths, the betrayals, but if we only look at those monumental moments, I don't think we can be fully happy.  Even moments of exciting news,don't happen with great frequency.  I think the key to true happiness is to be able to take note of those little moments.  What are those you ask?

Well tonight, i had one of these moments.  I was sitting on the couch, my place was clean, my bed was made, everything was put in it's place, my favorite candles were burning, I was chatting with friends on the computer, I had the tv , albeit muted, on whatever I chose it to be on, and I heard my kitties happily scampering playing soccer with each other.  This feeling of calm just rushed over me, and it brought a tear to my eye.  Not for anything particularly huge, but in this moment, I felt that everything was going to be alright.  I was at peace.

I realized, this is happiness.  Happiness isn't getting that new car, or going on vacation, getting a raise, or going shopping. Sure those things are great, but true happiness, are these little moments.  Those moments where you are content.  In that moment frozen in time, things are as they should be.  Those big moments are certainly happy, but they are honestly far and few between. If those are our only measures of happiness, then we are in trouble.  If we take the time to recognize these little moments on the regular, we would probably be much happier.  

It's not to say that everything is perfect, and that all of the pain is behind me, but in that moment, I felt at peace.  I didn't feel the pain.  I realized that I can be happy on my own, even if it's just in that moment.  Soon these moments will become more prevalent.  They will become my norm.  

My advice to anyone going through a divorce, or just troubled times in general, is to sit back and look at your life.  Take some time to enjoy something, even if it is just a small piece of your day.  Be thankful, for in that one special moment, you are doing it.  You are showing your strength by recognizing and celebrating happiness.  Soon, the more you do this, the more frequent these moments will become.  

Realize that just as in the Wizard of Oz, like Dorothy, you have had the power all along.  You have the power to be where you want to be.  Just close your eyes, click your heels together, and say there's no place like home.  Smile, appreciate your life, and realize that you are where you need to be, going where you need to go, and yes, everything is going to be alright.  




1 comment: